Riverside Realtor Blog - Alma Dizon

Alma shares her experiences and observations as a Realtor in Riverside California.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Think twice before putting that ficus benjamina in the ground

I was looking at a house the other day and spotted a pretty ficus benjamina planted on the side of the house. The owners told me that it was only about 2-feet high or so when they put it down, and less than a year later, it's already taller than me. Uh, oh, I said.

You see, being from the subtropics, I know how big some house plants get in the wild. I once saw a schefflera that was perhaps 20 feet tall. Ficus benjaminas shouldn't be underestimated just because they look so sweet and helpless in a pot. They're related to banyan trees, and they have thirsty, powerful roots that will go hundreds of feet in search of water. They will also lift and break through cement, so watch out for walks, driveways, patios, and even your foundation.

Here's a link to a site with photos of ficus benjaminas and their roots:
http://mgonline.com/benjamina.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home